Can Computers Replace Human Beings - 29 September 1993

Going through my archives, I came across a dot matrix printout of a speech I had delivered at my college function back in 1993 when I was some 21 yrs old. The older me knows much more and better now, however, the text is reproduced here with permission from my old self to my current self:

** After the customary greetings etc ... here it goes:

Can computers replace human beings ? as you know is the given topic. In our age nothing seems impossible, therefore, I dare to challenge with the words "YES ! computers can replace human beings", as a matter of fact they have done so in certain respects. We all know that these words are hard to believe, rest assured for it is very easy to understand how computers can replace human beings.

Unmanned space mission, robots in the advanced world that are manufacturing automobiles, computerized navigation systems in ships and aircraft, reduction in office staff, computerized telephone exchanges that have eliminated the need of telephone operators, these are just few examples of how humans have been replaced by computerized machines.

The Unmanned space missions show us that where man cannot survive, computers and computer controlled robots have proved to be capable of doing so, One argument that is given against computers is that they have to be told what to do and how to do a certain task, TRUE but, tell me then has no one ever taught us how to perform a certain task, what then, do you infer from the words "Training", "Learning" ...? You may say that in an unmanned spacecraft, computers are being controlled by men on Earth, tell me aren't the astronauts guided by the control center at Cape Canaveral ? Certainly they are. [at the time this is where I thought the control room was, later in life I got the honor and privilege to visit the Mission Control Center and other NASA  facilities near Houston, TX.]

We Humans cannot work continuously for long duration so we put computers, like the teller machine at banks, so has it not replaced at least one human clerk at the bank and at the same time it is faster and more efficient than the human clerk. In the past we required an experienced navigator on board an aircraft to assist the pilot during flight, now a computer can do the job with precision and speed. The speech synthesizer, the sound blaster and the like have made verbal communication with computers a reality.

Computers have also made it possible to maintain a sound defense system like the patriot surface to air missiles that use the latest real time processing technology, reducing considerably the human element. The speed with which computers are influencing our daily lives it has become inevitable that in future they would play domination. They could be assisting the jury, strictly abiding by the laws which they do. We might see them mostly in the shape of robots, serving guests at a party instead of human waiters, fighting a war for us when nuclear radiation would have made it virtually impossible for us to leave our bunkers. Hopefully our women folk would be relived of their tiring chores in the kitchens for computers do not get bored by performing the same task again and again all their lives. Thus the women would be able to give more time to their family and friends and certainly go to work without the tension of what and when to cook. Similarly men would have computers and robots to assist them in their work. Thus relieved of the centuries old duties, humans would be able to to explore and conquer new frontiers.

Expert systems are now decreasing the need for simultaneously having several experts, lightening developments in computer technology, the introduction of the super-computer, advancement in artificial intelligence, all show us that computers would one day replace human beings at the workplace. I repeat the workplace, and do all the hard and dirty work, increasing industrial production and decreasing production costs, while we humans would have become push button managers and life might become a bed of roses.

********

The older me can see a lot of areas where both men and women have made advancements in computing technology such that we are witnessing autonomous vehicles, IOT devices, smart buildings and AI opening up new chapters in mankind's endeavor for a better and peaceful world. 

I do see some old stereotype concepts I may have referred to above regarding the genders, however, they were in the context of traditional environment generally prevalent in the society. I know and believe, that women folk have broken the old shackles of stereotype roles and have excelled in every field, some that were previously thought to be the exclusive domain for men. Although my own family has several examples of working women, I can remember even my great-great grandmother retired as a school principal. My own mother is still an active school teacher, and so were almost all my six aunts, and my generation and the next and the next, and as I have evolved, I have developed deep sense of respect and admiration for both men and women who work, or stay at home, but are all contributing their best for a better tomorrow.

I often wonder what the future would be like, how to make the world a better, safer and "Healthier" place for our future generations.

readers' thoughts are welcome.

Peace and Love !!

Comments

  1. Your writing is an inspiration for me...very well written article

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment